Gwenda Thomas
Showing posts with label health. Show all posts
Showing posts with label health. Show all posts

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

AM’s concerns for exploitation of elderly ex miners


Gwenda Thomas AM today issued a warning to all ex miners living within her constituency after she made investigations on behalf of an elderly miner who had been presented with a £4000 bill for solicitor’s fees.

The gentleman had been contacted by telephone and then visited by the solicitor’s representative claiming that they had been given his information by the NUM. He was then persuaded to seek compensation for deafness even though he had already successfully claimed over 10 years ago. His original claim negated any further compensation which has led to the presentation of this extortionate bill for administration costs and medicals.

Mrs. Thomas has warned Wayne Thomas the Area Secretary for the National Union of Mineworkers, who are now using this information and will be instructing their volunteers to display posters warning ex miners of this practice.

Wayne Thomas stated, ‘Unfortunately there are many firms of solicitors contacting ex miners throughout the UK insinuating that their approach has been endorsed by the NUM, simply to give them credibility. They are trawling mining communities in South Wales, telling people who have had previous settlements for hearing loss, that they can claim again from British Coal, which they cannot.’

Gwenda Thomas AM has also learned that when the miners are told that they cannot claim further, they are then targeted again by an offer of assistance to claim for Industrial Disablement Benefit through the DWP.

‘This is a dreadful form of abuse of the vulnerable and elderly,’ expressed Mrs. Thomas. ‘There are no charges for anyone applying for this benefit and for unscrupulous people to try and profit from this is appalling and discredits those solicitors who have worked hard for our miners in the past. ‘

Mrs. Thomas then urged anyone who believes that they have been targeted in this way to contact either her self or the NUM directly, who will be able to advise them of the best course of action.

‘Do not agree to, or sign, any agreement until you have sort advice,’ emphasised Mrs. Thomas, ‘and do not pay anyone to help you apply for Industrial Disablement Benefit. My advice is to contact the Welfare Rights Unit at Neath Civic Centre who are qualified to give you free assistance.’

Friday, 20 August 2010

WELSH ASSEMBLY CLAMPS DOWN ON PREMIUM RATE GPS NUMBERS

The number of GPs surgeries in Neath using premium rate phone lines will soon decrease said Gwenda Thomas, AM for Neath.
Until this year some GPs surgeries were still able to take out contracts for premium rate ‘084’ phone lines that charged substantially above the national landline rate.
Mrs Thomas said: "Many people assume, quite reasonably, that a call to their GP will be, if not free, at least charged at the normal landline price. It’s only when they receive the phone bill that they realise they’ve been charged over the odds. Clearly this is not an insignificant issue, especially for those on a restricted income."
Following recent changes to the regulations, instigated by Edwina Hart, Minister for Health in the Welsh Government, GPs surgeries are barred from entering into or extending contracts for phone services that charge more than the cost of a local call.
Mrs Thomas said: "I'm happy to reassure my constituents that although some surgeries are still contractually committed to providers of ‘084’ numbers we’ll see more and more switch to local rate phone lines as these contracts come up for renewal over the course of the year."
If GPs practices have not switched from ‘084’ numbers by 1st April 2011 the regulations will oblige them to consider introducing a ‘ring back’ system where patients can request the practice call them back at its own expense.

Thursday, 12 June 2008

New review to look at child deaths in Wales

Deputy Minister for Social Services, Gwenda Thomas, today (Thursday, 12 June) announced that the Welsh Assembly Government will be funding an all-Wales pilot to review child deaths at a CEMACH (Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health) conference held at Cardiff.

Developed from and building upon the CEMACH model that analysed child deaths in a number of selected areas for one year it is anticipated that a Wales-wide pilot – focusing on child suicides - will identify avoidable factors and contributors to child deaths.

There are approximately 300 child deaths every year in Wales – of which almost half are babies under 28 days of age.

Speaking at the conference earlier today, Deputy Minister for Social Services, Gwenda Thomas, said;

“The Assembly Government is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.

“ We need to look at what can be done by local authorities, the NHS and other agencies to address these issues at a local level as well as what the Welsh Assembly Government might do at a national level.

“I am confident that an all-Wales pilot for Child Death reviews will identify avoidable factors that contribute to child deaths and consequently help us to eliminate or reduce them as far as possible.”

According to the findings of the CEMACH “Why Children Die” report that was presented to stakeholders earlier today more that half of the deaths of children over the age of 28 days may have been avoidable or potentially avoidable.

Said Gwenda Thomas; “The CEMACH report provides us with analysis of child deaths in one year and in a number of selected areas giving us a snapshot of the position at one point in time.”

“By undertaking further work and analysis we can develop effective policies to address unexpected child deaths.”

An unexpected death is defined as the death of a child that was not anticipated as a significant possibility 24 hours before the death, or where there was a similarly unexpected collapse leading to or precipitating the events that led to the death.

Subject to an assessment of the pilot, the aim would be to introduce a full Child Death Review scheme from 1 April 2010, following consultation with stakeholders on any proposed regulations and guidance.

Monday, 3 March 2008

Press Release: NEATH AM WELCOMES REFORM OF HOSPITAL PARKING CHARGES

Neath Labour AM and Deputy Health & Social Services Minister Gwenda Thomas has today warmly welcomed a move by the Labour-led Welsh Assembly Government to allow patients, visitors and staff to park for free at almost every hospital in Wales by the end of 2011.

The announcement means that from April 1st this year, car parking on all NHS Trust sites is to be provided free of charge for patients, staff and visitors, unless external contracts are in place.

Where commercial parking contracts are in place, NHS Trusts are being told to reduce parking costs for patients, staff and visitors from 1st June this year. These reduced-cost schemes will then have to remain in place until the end of the contract.

Gwenda Thomas AM said:

“This will be very welcome news for patients, their families and NHS staff across my constituency.

“Under the current system, charges vary widely across Wales. This means that patients, staff and visitors can all be hit with the expense and inconvenience of parking charges, often when they are at their most vulnerable.

“Parking costs have been a major issue for many of my constituents, who will now benefit from free parking at the major hospitals serving my constituency, such as Singleton and Morriston hospitals.

“While Neath Port Talbot Hospital operates a commercial contract and Abertawe Bro Morgannwg NHS Trust (which comes into existence from April 1st) is legally bound to honour the terms of this contract, I am sure that patients, visitors and staff will join with me in welcoming the fact that they will face reduced parking charges from June 1st.

“At last year’s Assembly election, Welsh Labour promised that we would reform charges for hospital parking and today’s announcement means that we are well on the way to doing just that by the end of this Assembly term.”

Wednesday, 19 December 2007

Press Release: Voluntary organisations benefit from £13 million festive funding boost

Voluntary organisations across Wales in the health and social care sector are set to benefit from a bumper Christmas package of over £13 million in grant funding over the next 3 years, the Deputy Minister for Social Services Gwenda Thomas announced today (Wednesday, 19 December).

The grants will go to a range of organisations in the physical and/or sensory disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health, carers and older people sectors.

Said Gwenda Thomas: “The awarding of these three year grants is a demonstration of our continuing commitment to the voluntary sector.”

“ This latest round of three year funding awards will give these organisations the financial certainty they need to enable them to effectively plan ahead.

“ All Wales voluntary organisations within health and social care provide a valuable contribution to both helping inform and shape our policies and providing ongoing help, advice and support to some of the most vulnerable people in our society.

“ This £13 million in funding will ensure this important work continues over the next three years”.The grant will be made available on a three-year basis from April 2008.

For Further Information, click here: http://new.wales.gov.uk/news/presreleasearchive/1876092/?lang=en

Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Press Release: Improved care for stroke patients

Improved support for stroke patients was announced today by Deputy Minister for Health Gwenda Thomas at a summit in Cardiff.

A new requirement will mean that, by March 2009, all stroke patients will be admitted to dedicated beds staffed by a specialist team.

The announcement follows a recommendation from a partnership set up by the Welsh Assembly Government to advise on improving care.

The Government sought their views after an audit by the Royal College of Physicians (RCP), published last May, concluded that there was not enough specialist beds and support for stroke patients.

Although the numbers of people in Wales dying from a stroke have been falling in recent years, a total of 2,380 people died in 2005.

Gwenda Thomas said:

“The Government is committed to improving stroke services in Wales.

“Currently, those people who survive a stroke are often left with varying degrees of disability and rehabilitation needs.

“The RCP report was a damning commentary on our stroke services. When the Health Minister met the Stroke Association in June, she assured them that this was one of her priorities.

“The NHS across Wales has now been required to work with social services departments to map current services against the stroke standards set out in the National Service Framework for Older People.

“To ensure these improvements are implemented promptly – and as part of the One Wales commitment to improve services for long-term conditions such as stroke – £2.5 million is being made available from 2008-09. Decisions on the use of this funding will be made in the light of the mapping work the local NHS is doing.

“To oversee and co-ordinate improvements to stroke services at a national level, we have also established an independent panel, the Stroke Partnership. This partnership will encourage, advise and support the NHS and social services in their efforts to provide the quality of care that stroke patients need.

“We need our doctors, nurses and other health professionals to champion and lead the change programme. That’s why we have established the Wales Stroke Alliance, led by Dr Anne Freeman, a physician and a Trustee of the Stroke Association, to directly underpin the Stroke Partnership and input into and support its work.

“We intend this programme of work to act as a firm and positive driver and a focus for the improvements we need to achieve. The programme will be reviewed periodically in the light of progress.”

Trish Hughes, General Manager for Wales, the Stroke Association, said:

“We welcome this announcement by the Deputy Minister and look forward to working in partnership with the Welsh Assembly Government to improve stroke services in Wales.

“As the Minister acknowledges, stroke care in Wales has lagged behind that of the rest of the United Kingdom. Stroke is a long term condition and will need long term funding. There is a long way to go, but we feel reassured that the Assembly Government is now addressing what is the third biggest killer in Wales.”

Thursday, 29 November 2007

Press Release: CASH BOOST FOR AIR AMBULANCE

- Welsh Labour outlines review of ambulance services

NEATH AM Gwenda Thomas has today welcomed the extra investment by the Welsh Assembly Government in the Air Ambulance service in South Wales.

Welsh Labour Health Minister Edwina Hart has outlined a £337,000 boost for the service next year and outlined a review of the service and patient transport services across Wales.

The extra money follows a £77million Assembly Government modernisation fund for the ambulance service. £55 million has already been made available this year to upgrade ambulances, air ambulances and control centres with state-of-the-art digital radios to help improve response times.

People in Neath will also benefit from a £16 million investment for an extra 119 emergency ambulances and 67 patient care service vehicles.

Neath Labour AM and Deputy Health Minister Gwenda Thomas said:

"I'm very pleased that we have been able to make this extra money available for the air ambulance service – which further proves Welsh Labour’s commitment to modernising the ambulance service in Wales.

"Patients in my constituency and across Wales are going to benefit from extra ambulances and better response times thanks to the investment in new vehicles and state-of-the-art digital radios.

"I am also pleased that the Health Minister Edwina Hart has announced plans to review the air ambulance service by the end of year so that the Assembly Government can look at ways of funding this important service in future.’’

The AM also welcomed a review into the patient transport services. The review will bring local health and volunteer organisations to look at ways of improving the experience of patients who use the service.

Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Press Release: AM WELCOMES LIFE SAVING VACCINE

Vaccination against cervical cancer to be introduced in Wales

All 12 and 13 year old girls in Wales are to be vaccinated against the virus that causes most types of cervical cancer thanks to the Labour led Assembly Government.

Neath AM Gwenda Thomas has welcomed Welsh Labour Health Minister Edwina Hart’s announcement that the vaccination against the virus will be available from September 2008. There will also be a two-year catch-up vaccination campaign starting in Autumn 2009 for all girls up to the age of 18.

Neath AM and Deputy Health Minister GWENDA THOMAS said:

‘’Tackling cancer is one of Welsh Labour’s top priorities. The immunisation of girls from next year is a long-term investment in cancer prevention.

‘’Prevention is always better than cure and this vaccine will prevent many women from catching the virus in the first place and will save hundreds of lives.

‘’Women in Neath and their families are going to benefit from this vaccine for generations to come.

‘’This is an ambitious programme and I am pleased that the Health Minister is committed to working closely with the Neath Port Talbot LHB to ensure its success.’’